Saturday, March 13, 2010

Fables by Bill Willingham


Fables: Arabian Nights and Days by Bill Willingham, et al.
This is the seventh volume of Fables, an ongoing comic series about fairy tale characters living in exile in a hidden enclave in Manhattan. I am slowly working my way through the series and enjoying it, though I'm not compelled to sit down and gorge myself on the whole series at once like I did with Sandman or Strangers in Paradise. This is one of the weaker volumes, as it moves the overall story along, but does not involve the ongoing stories of many of the characters. If you are going to try Fables, start at the beginning with Fables: Legends in Exile, this volume doesn't stand alone.


Fables: Wolves by Bill Willingham, et al.
A good installment in the series, featuring the return of Cinderella Superspy and a conclusion to the Bigby/Snow White storyline. I'm enjoying the expansion of the other worlds and the greater focus on characters that we've only seen briefly before. This series is still keeping me interested after eight volumes, so it's definitely doing something right.


Fables: 1001 Nights of Snowfall by Bill Willingham et al.
This volume fills in some of the back story of the residents of Fabletown, as Snow White plays Scheherazade and spins tales to keep her head. I liked the premise, and some of the short stories about the minor characters, but I hated the back story for Snow White and Flycatcher. In particular I hated the inclusion of a particular element in those two stories, which seemed to be included simply to be salacious. Also, I suspect Snow's back story was meant to improve our opinion of Prince Charming by assassinating Snow's character.

No comments:

Post a Comment